Thursday, June 10, 2010

Winning After Losing By Stacey Halprin

Stacy weighed 550 pounds before she started to get her life back in order. She now happily weighs 190 and as she says "has two birth days." 

I picked this book up because I was tired of all the yo-yo dieting I've done. I've never been any where near as big as Stacey. I believe the most I've ever weighed was 145. I have gone up and down since I was in high school and I hate it. I always do so well, lose weight, eat healthy, workout, and then once I get to my goal weight I stop. Gain it all back, and start all over again. I've tried so many diets, fasts, and cleanses it's ridiculous. I was 115 07/2009 when I got married. By 12/2009 I was already back up to 130 and on my way up. I knew I needed something to help me "Keep the weight off you've lost". That's when I picked up Stacey's book. 

This was a great motivational book. While there are some times the writing is lacking, the intention is still there. And it's worth it to read the whole thing. I checked this book out from the library but I will be buying my own copy to have on hand as a reference. There are some things in this book that didn't really pertain to me, such as gastric bypass, surgery, and the struggles of being morbidly obese, however everything else was helpful. Step Four is one of my favorite; Appreciate the Small Victories. The title speaks for it's self but it really has helped me truly appreciate the small things in life. It instructs you to point out something you like about your self every time a negative thought comes into your mind. I can be pretty hard on my self and have no problem finding ALL of my "flaws". On the other hand, it's not so easy for me to find the good stuff, stay positive and motivated. Which is why I think I've always had that yo-yo weight so many of us struggle with. 

Stacey suggests you make a Winner's Circle Handbook, with a journal, computer, three ring binder or anything that you'll write in. She has many workshops throughout the book to help you keep on track. I didn't do this, but once I buy my own copy I will. She also includes many wonderful resources in the back of the book. Again, regardless of the amount of weight you want to lose, or your addiction, this is a good start/or finish to your journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment